Subpoenas served on almost ALL of Obama’s staff- Senatorgate.
Big Media looks the other way as the King of Corruption’s staff under subpoena.
On Saturday morning, the list of subpoenas served by the U.S. Attorney’s office in the Governor Rod Blagojevich case was made public. The list included one major surprise for the new administration. Link
A veritable “who’s who” of Obama staffers, surrogates and affiliates were among those served with subpoenas. Put simply, within one week of President Barack Obama’s administration taking office, it is already under significant legal scrutiny that will — at a minimum — take precious time away from dealing with the country’s monumental economic and foreign policy challenges.
And, once again, the mainstream media is AWOL, unwilling to report on this very newsworthy story.
Among those served with subpoenas were:
David Axelrod, Obama’s “Karl Rove” and the biggest surprise on the list. Obama’s team issued a report in December that said his staff had no “inappropriate contact” with Blago, so the inclusion of Axelrod is a bit of a shock.
Valerie Jarrett, Blago’s “Senate Candidate 1″, a real estate management executive and political hack of the first order. Her ties to failed and fraudulent real estate deals in Chicago were the subject of numerous investigations and should have instantly disqualified her for any public office.
Rahm Emanuel was already deeply involved in the case with some reports describing as many as 21 conversations with Blago’s office during the period in question.
Tony Rezko, Obama’s first advocate, fundraiser and adviser, was convicted last year on numerous charges related to kickbacks, and is now awaiting sentencing. Rezko is “cooperating with authorities, FBI Agent Daniel Cain said in an affidavit.”
Others served include:
• Patricia Blagojevich, first lady
• River Realty, her former employer
• Friends of Blagojevich, the governor’s campaign committee
• Citizens for Blagojevich, his former committee
• Robert Blagojevich, the governor’s brother and campaign chairman
• Christopher Kelly, former adviser and fundraiser for governor
• Alonzo Monk, former Blagojevich chief of staff, now a lobbyist
• Milan Petrovic, lobbyist and campaign fundraiser
• John Wyma, former Blagojevich adviser, now a lobbyist
• Paul Rosenfeld, lobbyist
• J.B. Pritzker, wealthy Chicagoan whom Blagojevich might have considered to replace Obama in U.S. Senate
• Gery Chico, former Chicago school board president and one-time U.S. Senate candidate
• Doug Scofield, former Blagojevich adviser, now a consultant
• Scofield Communications
• Service Employees International Union
• Tom Balanoff, SEIU Illinois president
• Change to Win, an SEIU-affiliated activist group
• Sam Zell, owner of the Chicago Tribune
• Nils Larsen, an adviser to Zell
• The Chicago Tribune
• The Tribune Co., the newspaper’s parent company
• Michael Vondra, owner of asphalt and construction companies
• Gerald Krozel, vice president of a concrete company
• John Johnston, president of Balmoral Park racetrack
• Fred Yang, Washington, D.C.-based Blagojevich consultant
• Garin Hart Yang Research Group, Yang’s firm
• William Knapp, Washington, D.C.-based Blagojevich consultant
• Squire, Knapp & Dunn, Knapp’s firm
• Doug Sosnick, political consultant
Blago’s “Senate Candidate 3″, Jan Schakowsky, was not served with a subpoena, but will have some questions of her own to answer in the days to come.
Let’s recap, shall we? In the first week, Obama has not cut taxes — the only proven way to revive the economy — despite promising to do so for “95% of working Americans” (which was almost certainly a lie, but let’s wait and see); signed an order to close Gitmo, certain to make America less safe; and promoted abortion on a global scale.
Oh, and most of his senior staff was served with subpoenas.
I can hardly wait for week two.
Update: Thomas Lifson offers the critical thought experiment: imagine if Rove, and not Axelrod, had been the subject.
Hat tips: Don Surber ( the story) and Larwyn. Linked by: Thomas Lifson at the invaluable American Thinker, The Anchoress, SondraK, The Real Barack Obama, DequalsS, Bill Baar’s West Side and The Astute Bloggers. Thanks!
h/t : The Real Barack Obama:
Lynn Sweet wrote January 24th in the Chicago Sun-Times:
- Newly released subpoenas that Gov. Blagojevich fought to keep secret show federal prosecutors are looking at potential criminal wrongdoing that would go beyond charges he already faces — involving everything from state road contracts awarded to campaign donors to his wife Patti’s real estate dealings.The subpoenas also seek information about any contacts the governor’s administration had with two top advisers to President Obama, David Axelrod and Valerie Jarrett. […]
Jarrett was alluded to in the Dec. 9 criminal complaint against the governor as a potential Senate candidate Blagojevich was considering. Axelrod did not surface in the complaint. Neither is charged with any wrongdoing.
Sweet also states that Fitzgerald’s investigation extends beyond what has been known previously:
- “It’s clearly beyond matters in the criminal complaint, which was sweeping in its own right,” said Jay Stewart, executive director of the Better Government Association, whose legal fight forced Blagojevich to make the subpoenas public late Friday. “It demonstrates the feds have been looking for a long time. And, up to a relatively recent time, they’ve been gathering more information.”
Doug Ross at Director Blue commented
- A veritable “who’s who” of Obama staffers, surrogates and affiliates were among those served with subpoenas. Put simply, within one week of President Barack Obama’s administration taking office, it is already under significant legal scrutiny that will — at a minimum — take precious time away from dealing with the country’s monumental economic and foreign policy challenges.And, once again, the mainstream media is AWOL, unwilling to report on this very newsworthy story.